Wednesday, October 16, 2013

30-min fame on live talk show with Estée Lauder's Double Wear Stay-in-Place Makeup, Mac Mineralize Skinfinish Natural & Mineralize Blush

A friend sent me this picture after she saw me on a live NTV7 talk show recently. It was a scary moment for me as I didn't think I was ever prepared for a live interview especially when it entails a broad topic of parenting and not something straight forward like work, for instance. 

When I posted this photo on my facebook page (another photo sent by another friend), I received positive comments about my makeup. Come to think of it, after reading those comments, I recalled that even the makeup artist at the studio told me that my makeup was already good for the show and in her words, "beautifully done". All she did was to touch up with some powder just to dust off some shine from my face as I guess I had perspired a little while worrying much at the beginning after being briefed about the show. 

I'll tell you more about the show in another post. Today, I shall touch on the makeup I was using since I received some enquiries about what I was using. 

Frankly, I hadn't adhered to the basic rule of how to keep makeup looking smooth and lasts longer - which is to use a makeup primer. I didn't use a primer because I am out of one and I haven't been using one for the longest of time. And, as I've discovered this super serum which works excellent on my skin, I believe that was one of the strongest elements that made everything else look good.

Of course, in any steps to makeup, a good foundation enhances a good canvas...
I have the Estee Lauder Double Wear foundation in liquid form and powder compact. I know I've used many types of foundation before but I have recently came back to this. I first discovered this at an EL makeover event some time in 1998 when my skin was super oily and this was the only super strength foundation that could stay on my oily face while making me look good at all times.

I think EL had reintroduced or reformulated the foundation and I love the way it covers up the skin - you can use it as light as possible by dabbing on the thinnest layer with a foundation brush or you could apply it with your fingers for a full coverage. At my age, a full coverage would look quite horrifying but I also discovered that whether light or full the coverage, the foundation will sort of blend in with the natural oils of your skin and make your face look naturally bright. It doesn't oxidise and appears like a second skin without weighing skin down, and the skin look totally in synergy with the foundation.

I'd then set it with powder and now comes the most interesting part - finishing powder. 

These are probably the most beautiful combination of finishing powder and blusher I've ever used. Ever.

I was getting myself a Mac Studio Tech foundation and as usual, the very friendly makeup artists of Mac would always want to do some sort of demonstration on my face for whatever small purchase I was going to make. The makeup artist dusted the Mac Mineralize Skinfinish Natural powder only on one side of my face and I was stunned to see the difference it did under natural lighting. My dear husband was with me and he too was thoroughly impressed. It's as if, whatever make up you use and after setting in the foundation with loose powder, a quick dust of this mineral finishing powder will make your skin look absolutely flawless, possibly similar to those HD powder.

I mean, I know there are mobile apps that can make you skin look flawless... yet this powder can replace that app you're using. I always look fresh and I don't know... somehow in photos, my facial features appear more sharp and chiseled, which always impresses me. It's as if I'm saying to myself, "Hey, I don't look that good, do I?" everytime I view a photo of myself with the mineral finishing powder. It's a weird sort of compliments I'd give myself in a weird vain way that one should just ignore ;P

It only takes a light sweeping motion of the brush on this piece of compact and you're all set for the next steps of eye-shadow, etc. I've been using this almost everyday that I have my makeup on and I still have probably a quarter left after 2 years, I think. This piece of item lasts!

You can say that this is one beauty secret I haven't shared and I wanted to for so long. It's such a joy to have this because I felt like I finally found real magic. And I can't even make comparisons with any other powders because I've never used any other finishing powders before.

To help me achieve a more translucent look, this Mineralize Blush in Dainty seals the deal. I'm not sure if mineral makeup actually looks good on me or is it because Mac really makes good makeup.

Both the mineral formulation doesn't break me out or clog my pores or make skin feels heavy. Of course, I do double cleanse at the end of the day.

As for the rest of my face, I used a liquid liner on the eye, my favourite eye colours from this Maquillage compact and a red lippie from my favourite Revlon lip colour collection. These were just done very simple because I thought the makeup artist would touch up my face extensively and was really surprised that they think they didn't need to. I probably have improved on my makeup skills or these basic beauties are a real gem. Or both.

So there you have it... using these products that work, gave me the confidence I needed to be myself in front of the camera. 

What's your favourite go-to makeup items?

No comments: