Friday, June 20, 2014

Clinique Even Better Dark Spot Defense SPF 45/PA++++

I am not new to Clinique's sunscreens. Having some bouts of sensitive skin symptoms every once in awhile since my student days, Clinique was always a go-to brand for their fragrance-free and allergy tested promise. I never really liked their chemical smell of SPF but since they're safe for my skin, I thought their sunscreen products are worth the investment.

Recently, the kind folks in Clinique gave me the Even Better Dark Spot Defense sunscreen to try. I must say I was thrilled to try it because I've used up another version of their Even Better sunscreen in a tube called, the City Block and liked it a lot (tried looking for the post but I guess I missed posting that up).

The Even Better line is known to have brightening properties and evening out skin tone. So, what better option than to have a sunscreen that not only protects skin from harmful UV rays while it treats skin. Better yet, enhancing the treatment of brightening and spot reduction if you're already using the entire Even Better line from Clinique.

The packaging is nice and cute. The small white colored bottle has a small nozzle where just the right amount of sunscreen can be dispersed with a small squeeze of the bottle. It comes in a 30ml bottle and just nice to be held in my palm.

I was more interested to check out the tinted version. I've been in the search for a nice tinted moisturiser or BB cream as I am trying to use less foundation. So, a tinted sunscreen would do just as well.

The formula in the bottle is such that you need to shake it well for the tint to come out or else you'd end up getting just clear liquid. 

Coverage wise, the tint gives a really light coverage. It won't cover your blemish marks nor conceal your open pores. What it does is that it applies smooth, you get that normal shine from an SPF and you'll either see a nice glow (if you like that healthy sheen) or you might want to layer on powder for a matte finish. For me, I achieve a matte finish when I layer this product on top of the sunscreen.

According to Clinique, the product comes in a refreshingly lightweight and silky formula which would offer a flawless, protective base that can be worn alone or under makeup. It and can also be used around the eye area. The Even Better Dark Spot Defense SPF 45 / PA++++ is suitable for all skin types and is available in two variations: Sheer, a non-tinted formula, and Sheer Tint, a subtly tinted formula. And of course, their signature claim to products that are allergy tested, 100% fragrance free, dermatologist tested and for this, also ophthalmologist tested in case you're worried about applying it on the eye area.

I've been using this for more than 4 weeks and although I don't get much coverage from the tint, I am enjoying the benefits of the Even Better promise - clearer looking complexion which I think looks immediately obvious upon cleansing my face in the evening. I'm not sure if it is due to just using the Even Better range (I'm using several items from the range) or due to the combination with a pore minimiser product which I've been using in the same duration. I do think that the several products   when used together will eventually show some positive difference to the tone of the complexion.

I definitely won't use this alone on a tiring day because the tint doesn't give sufficient coverage for me and if I compare it with the creamier tube of the Even Better City Block, I kind of prefer the tube because it is less shiny. But this one has a slightly larger amount of SPF than the City Block and some of you might prefer a more fluid formula rather than a creamy one. Plus, this one specifically treats dark spots as well. 

The Even Better Dark Spot Defense was launched in the first quarter of this year and retails at RM140. 

Have you tried it yet?


No comments: